Print Options

Student Life

At The Divinity School

The Divinity School is located in Swift Hall, at the heart of the main quadrangles of the University of Chicago campus. 

Swift Hall houses the administrative offices of the Divinity School, the offices of the faculty and staff, class and seminar rooms, Swift Lecture Hall, Swift Common Room, a student lounge, and a coffee shop. Upon occasion, University facilities outside of Swift Hall are used for classes and meetings. The John Nuveen Wing of Swift Hall houses the Martin Marty Center, dedicated to interdisciplinary inquiry in religion. It contains offices, seminar rooms, and a small reference library for the use of research fellows.

More information about campus, the community, and visiting can be found at

The campus is accessible from downtown Chicago by Metra commuter train (from Randolph and Michigan to 59th Street, University of Chicago stop); by bus (CTA No. 6 Jackson Park Express, boarded along State Street in the Loop); and by car (via Lake Shore Drive). Persons arriving at O’Hare or Midway Airports may take the Omega Airport Shuttle (phone: 773-483-6634; web site: to Ida Noyes Hall at the University, approximately three blocks from Swift Hall. 

Alumni Relations and Development

The Divinity School pursues a program of alumni relations and financial development through the offices of the Director of Development as well as through cooperation with the University’s Office of Alumni Relations and Development.  For more information, contact Dale Walker, Director of Development, The University of Chicago Divinity School, 1025 East 58th Street, Chicago, Illinois 60637 (phone: 773-702-8248; fax: 773-702-6048; web site:

Divinity Students Association

The Divinity Students Association (DSA) is an organization run by and for University of Chicago Divinity School students. The organization attempts to contribute to many spheres of life in the Divinity School: academic, professional, and social.  Above all else, the DSA is committed to fostering a true community of Divinity students from every degree program.

DSA funds student academic clubs: one for each area of concentrations and many others sparked and organized by students according to their interests. DSA also funds major events and conferences that several clubs organize, like the annual Ministry Conference and "Alternative Epistemologies" speaker series. For more information about the DSA sponsored clubs, see

In addition, DSA makes available a limited amount of funding for students participating in international conferences.

For more information about the DSA please visit

The Martin Marty Center

The Martin Marty Center, established in the spring of 1998 to recognize Professor (emeritus) Martin E. Marty’s manifold contributions to the understanding of religion, aims to promote research that is oriented toward public life and toward the role that religion plays in culture. The Marty Center oversees the development of major faculty research projects; sponsors a student research colloquium, and fosters interactive connections to those public constituencies for whom specific research projects in religion will have significant consequences. Inquiries should be addressed to The Martin Marty Center, The University of Chicago Divinity School, 1025 East 58th Street, Chicago, Illinois 60637 (phone: 773-702-7049; fax: 773-702-8223; web site:


The Divinity School provides placement counseling for academic and religious leadership employment to all of its students.

UChicagoGRAD is a University-wide office committed to ensuring that students and postdocs have the skills they need to become the next generation of leaders in academia, government, industry and non-profits. Career resources include advising, workshops, internship and job listings, and more.  See more at UChicago GRAD's Career Development website:

Questions about placement may be directed to the Dean of Students in the Divinity School.

Around the University 

Research Resources

The Library

As a center of intense intellectual inquiry, the University of Chicago Library shares with the University of Chicago the aspiration to be the most dynamic research and learning environment in the world, supporting the University’s commitment to research and teaching in the sciences, social sciences, humanities, and the College and to using its intellectual resources to help solve the world’s problems.

Even as building and preserving collections continue to be critical commitments of the Library, the Library is assuming new roles that are vital to research, innovation, and learning at the University of Chicago.  In doing so, we are leveraging the deep expertise of the Library staff, are developing services that support new avenues of research, and are expanding access to and preservation of scholarly resources in ways that advance the goals of the University community and the needs of the next generation of scholars.

Religious Studies was a core component of the original library of the University of Chicago, formed around the Berlin Collection (57,630 volumes and 39,020 dissertations, or 96,650 volumes in all) and the Baptist Union Theological Seminary Library (40,000 volumes), which included the Hengstenberg Collection and American Bible Union Collection. The Religion collection focuses on the academic study of religion rather than a confessional study with a focus on religious practice. Historic strengths of the collection include German scholarship in systematic theology, biblical studies, and the history of Christianity. The private libraries of Joachim Wach, Mircea Eliade, and Joseph Kitagawa were incorporated into the collections, thereby strengthening the Library’s focus on the history of religions. The private library of Marvin Fox strengthened the Library’s collection in Jewish studies, and specifically in Maimonides studies. Current strengths of the collection match those of the Divinity School (e.g., history of religions; biblical studies, especially New Testament textual and historical criticism). Thanks to the generosity of the Kern Foundation Endowed Theosophical Book Fund, the Library has a strong collection of Theosophical materials. The Religion collection is further supplemented by the many resources available in the Hyde Park neighborhood and Chicago metropolitan area. 

Teaching and learning support includes reference services, course reserves, library instruction and curriculum support, bibliographic management software, and technologically equipped classrooms. Reference librarians provide orientation to library collections, services, and facilities. The reference staff is available for individual and group consultation, and can be contacted in person as well as by e-mail, telephone and online chat. The Library has a large number of subject specialist bibliographers who build and maintain the various collections, including Anne K. Knafl, Bibliographer for Religion, Philosophy and Jewish Studies. Bibliographers are available to provide specialized reference services, such as instruction in research techniques through private consultations and group workshops.

The University of Chicago Library: 
Religion Research: 
Subject Specialists  
Special Collections Research Center  
The Association of Chicago Theological Schools:

Information Technology

IT Services is an integral part of the University of Chicago, committed to service delivery and support of the university mission through innovative uses of technology. IT Services include email, secure file storage and sharing, safe computing support, online course websites and materials, and more. For more information about IT Services, visit

The Library system also facilities access to computers and electronic resources. Find out more about current offerings at

In addition to central services, each division and most of the professional schools provide information technology services, including computer labs, related to specific disciplines. 


Living Accommodations

The University of Chicago provides a variety of living options for its graduate students.  Graduate Student Housing provides a wide variety of apartment sizes, designs, and rates. Individual buildings in the system may have parking, be pet-friendly, and/or be ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) compliant.

For Graduate Student Housing and Faculty/Staff Housing:

Phone 773.753.2218

Additional information on housing options, including current costs, is sent to all newly admitted students.

The UChicago GRAD Housing Resources site contains useful tips and resources that will help you plan out your apartment search, understand your rental agreement (the lease), and familiarize yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a renter.See more at

International House

International House of Chicago was founded in 1932 through a gift from John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Currently I-House is not available as a housing option for graduate students. Occupancy is planned for the near future; check the I-House website for current information. I-House sponsors a wide array of internationally focused programs.

All inquiries should be addressed to:

International House
1414 East 59th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60637
phone: 773-753-2270
fax: 773-753-1227
web site:

Disciples Divinity House

Disciples Divinity House of the University of Chicago is a foundation for theological education directly affiliated with both the University and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Its major purpose is to provide scholarships and related educational services to Disciples of Christ students attending the Divinity School. In addition, Disciples House maintains an ecumenical coeducational residence facility to which all Divinity School students are welcome to apply for housing. Located at the corner of the main quadrangles of the University, Disciples House has twenty-three furnished student rooms, a common room, library, chapel, and community kitchen. During the academic year, Disciples House sponsors a series of lectures and colloquia and subsidizes social activities organized by an elected student council. For further information and application forms, write to:

Disciples Divinity House of the University of Chicago
1156 East 57th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60637
phone: 773-643-4411
fax: 773-643-4413
web site:

Private Housing

The private housing market in the neighborhood around the University is generally tight. Students interested in housing outside the University system are advised to come to Chicago well in advance of the opening of the quarter in which they enter the University in order to secure accommodations. It is virtually impossible to obtain private housing by telephone or mail. The University itself does not have an off-campus housing office, nor does it maintain listings of inspected and approved private housing. However, private real estate companies publish lists of housing available in the Hyde Park area and online resources are available, including

University of Chicago

Health Insurance Requirement

The University requires all students, other than those in programs explicitly excluded (see “Ineligibility,” below) to carry adequate medical insurance to cover, among other costs, hospitalization and outpatient diagnostic and surgical procedures. If the student resides in Chicago, the insurance must cover medical care other than emergency care in the Chicago area. The insurance requirement may be satisfied in one of two ways:

  1. Enrolling in the University Student Health Insurance (U-SHIP) plan offered by the University, or
  2. Completing the online insurance waiver application before the open enrollment deadline. The waiver application requires the student to certify that his or her insurance coverage is comparable to the U-SHIP plan.

Please visit Student Health and Counseling Services at for more information, including current rates. 

Mandatory Quarterly Fee / Student Life Fee

All registered students are assessed a quarterly Student Life Fee. This fee covers access to the Student Health Service and Student Counseling Service. This fee also covers activities through the Center for Leadership and Involvement as well as campus-wide services and resources provided centrally through Campus & Student Life. The Student Life Fee will be waived only for students who live and study over 100 miles from campus, and who will not be on campus during the quarter. These waivers are administered by the Dean of Students.

Students in the Divinity School who are NOT assessed the Student Life Fee and cannot access the Student Health Service and Student Counseling Service:

  • Students in Extended Residence
  • Students in pro forma status.

Dependent spouses or same-sex domestic partners and dependent children age 14 and older, who are insured through the University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP), are assessed the Dependent Life Fee and are entitled to receive services at the Student Health Service and the Student Counseling Service. The Dependent Life Fee will be charged to the student's bursar account, in addition to the Student Insurance Premium.

While most of the services provided at Student Health and Counseling Services are covered by the Student Life fee, some services incur an additional charge. More information is available on the Student Health website at

Summer Student Life Fee

Students and June graduates who remain in the Chicago area during the summer but are not enrolled in classes have the option to purchase the Student Life Fee for continued access to the Student Health Service and Student Counseling Service. Students’ family members already on the U-SHIP plan may also purchase this fee.

Non-registered students for summer: Please note that summer coverage at Student Health and Counseling Services is not automatic. Students in eligible programs who would like coverage during the summer must specifically elect this coverage through the Student Health Insurance Enrollment website at before the end of the summer registration period. By selecting the summer Student Life Fee enrollment your student account will be updated to reflect the summer Student Life Fee, and you will have access to  Health and Counseling Services during the summer. Students who are in Chicago for the summer but have not paid the summer Student Life Fee will not have access to the NurseLine or Student Health and Counseling Services persons-on-call. These students and recent alumni will still have access to the resources listed at

NB: Students in the Divinity School are not required to be registered for summer. If you do enroll in summer language courses, (at your own expense, limited tuition aid available), you will be automatically billed for the Summer Student Life Fee.

Automatic Enrollment

Students who fail to complete an insurance election or apply for a waiver by the open enrollment deadline for the plan year will be automatically enrolled in the University’s Student Health Insurance Basic Plan and billed for that enrollment. The enrollment is binding for the entire plan year, from September 1 until August 31 of the following year.

The open enrollment period ends at 5 p.m. on the third Friday of the autumn quarter. For students who are not registered for the autumn quarter but do register during the winter, spring, or summer quarter, the open enrollment period ends at 5 p.m. on the second Friday of the first quarter in which they are registered during the insurance plan  year.


Students in the Chicago Booth evening and weekend, SSA evening, and the MLA programs are not eligible to enroll in the University Student Health Insurance Plan. Doctoral students in Extended Residence are also not eligible to enroll in USHIP. Students excluded from this requirement are not eligible to purchase the U-SHIP plan.

Immunization Requirements

Student Health Service  ( notifies all new students of immunization requirements and provides instructions for compliance. Forms will be mailed to all incoming students and are available for download

After the third Friday of the first quarter of enrollment, students who are not yet compliant will have their subsequent registrations restricted and will not have the restriction lifted until they have become compliant with the immunization requirement. A student who receives this notification is urged to call the Student Health Service at 773-702-4156 to resolve his or her status.

Restricted students will lose online access to grades as well as access to University libraries, athletic facilities, and health services, among other privileges. Restricted students will be required to leave the University if the restriction is not cleared by the fifth week of the subsequent quarter. Students required to leave will not receive credit for work done through the end of the fifth week of the quarter.

Graduate Student Parents Policy

The University of Chicago’s commitment to diversity has shaped the course of research and education at the University throughout its history. As we move into the 21st century, we seek to increase the number of women pursuing and successfully completing advanced degrees in preparation for assuming leadership positions in universities, government, and industry. We also believe that a graduate student parent has a better chance of successfully continuing the program and completing the degree when the duties of a new parent are shared by the spouse/partner. We recognize that a woman’s prime childbearing years often are precisely those years when she is engaged full-time in preparation and study for these positions. Her prime childbearing years may also be those years when the spouse/partner is engaged full-time in his or her academic studies or career. This policy addresses the conflicts and issues that may arise as the two goals—pursuit of an advanced degree and parenthood—come into play simultaneously.

This policy cannot anticipate every individual circumstance relating to childbirth and parenting. Rather, this policy establishes the principles and the minimum modifications for women graduate students who become pregnant and give birth and for all graduate students who become new parents. Students must always work closely with their advisors, departmental chairs, and Area Deans of Students in planning for a birth or having a child, arranging a timeline for meeting requirements, and accommodating particular circumstances. Students must communicate early, frequently, and clearly with their advisors about their progress and their engagement in courses and research. Advisors, too, must be realistic about the rate of progress of students experiencing childbirth or taking care of a newborn. The success of this policy depends upon full and open communication and cooperation among the student, the advisor, departmental chair, and the Area Dean of Students. The desired goal is to maintain the student-parent’s full-time status in his or her academic program and to ease the return to full participation in classes, research, teaching, or clinical training.


Several options are available to graduate students in various statuses in the University. A student who has reason to believe that she or he will wish to exercise one or more of these options should discuss her or his situation with the Area Dean of Students as early as possible to draw up an agreement and clear timeline for academic requirements.

  1. Extensions
    New parents in doctoral programs may request a one-quarter extension for departmental, program, and University milestones and requirements that come due after the birth of the child. Thus, for example, in a department in which petition to candidacy must be made by the end of the Scholastic Residence (normally, that is, by the end of the fourth year), a birth mother (whether or not she takes a one-quarter leave of absence for childbirth during those four years, see below) may request one additional quarter to prepare for the petition to candidacy.

    New parents in Master’s and professional programs may request a one quarter extension for departmental, program, and University milestones and requirements that come due after the birth of the child. Such extensions are not to exceed professional regulatory requirements toward degree completion. Thus, for example, in a Master’s or professional program with a limited number of years in which the degree is to be completed, a birth mother (whether or not she takes a one-quarter leave of absence for childbirth during those four years, see below) may request one additional quarter to complete the degree.

    Note: Extensions for departmental, program, and University milestones and requirements do not extend a doctoral student’s eligibility for full-time status in Scholastic and Advanced Residence beyond the total of twelve years from entry in the PhD program nor the Master’s or professional student’s eligibility for full-time status beyond the maximum duration of enrollment from entry in the program.
  2. Academic Modification
    One- or Two-Quarter Academic Modification. A birth mother in a Master’s or professional program, or in a doctoral program until admission to candidacy (that is, normally during Scholastic Residence or the early years of Advanced Residence), may choose to maintain full-time status during the quarter of her late-stage pregnancy, the quarter in which she gives birth, or the quarter in which she is engaged in the care of a newborn and receive an Academic Modification for these extra demands. The period of Academic Modification permits adjusting her course load and/or due dates for course assignments, papers, examinations, and other course-work requirements. Class and seminar attendance and participation are expected to the extent permitted by the health of the mother and newborn. New fathers or adoptive parents in Master’s and professional programs or in a doctoral program until admission to candidacy (that is, normally during Scholastic Residence or the early years of Advanced Residence) engaged in the care of a newborn may request similar Academic Modifications for one quarter.

    Students with teaching duties are urged to initiate conversations with their department or program chairs and the Area Dean of Students well in advance to arrange to teach in a quarter other than that of the birth or care of the newborn. This modification should be given to new mothers and new fathers.

    Students receiving tuition and/or stipends dependent upon laboratory and field research are urged to initiate conversations with their department chairs, lab supervisors, and the Area Dean of Students well in advance to adjust laboratory and research schedules. Students who are supported by fellowships external to the University must follow the rules specified by the granting agency for absences and leaves. Certain research grant conditions may necessitate the P.I. hiring additional help during the period of reduced activity. The mechanisms for continued financial support will be addressed on an individual basis with the P.I. and the Area Dean of Students.

    Further modifications and considerations may be necessary throughout a woman’s pregnancy or period of lactation, for example for students who may be exposed to toxic chemicals or who must travel for field research. Advisors, Area Deans of Students, and students are urged to work together to provide a safe learning environment.

    Note: The quarters of Academic Modification do not extend a doctoral student’s eligibility for full-time status in Scholastic and Advanced Residence beyond the total of twelve years from entry in the PhD program nor the Master’s or professional student’s eligibility for full-time status beyond the maximum duration of enrollment from entry in the  program. Moreover, because the student continues to be enrolled full-time, the quarters of Academic Modification in and of themselves do not stop the clock on departmental, program, and University academic milestones and requirements.
  3. Leave of Absence for Childbirth
    One-quarter leave of absence for childbirth. Since academic year 2000-2001, the University has permitted a female doctoral graduate student in Scholastic or Advanced Residence to take a one-quarter leave of absence for childbirth (see Student Manual, Residence Track). This option remains available. A pregnant student should discuss with her Area Dean of Students and with the Office of International Affairs (if relevant) the implications of such a leave for medical insurance coverage, visa status, loan repayment, University housing, etc. She may choose to use the leave-of-absence for childbirth in addition to or instead of the other options outlined above.

    Note: A leave-of-absence does not extend a doctoral student’s eligibility for full-time status in Scholastic and Advanced Residence beyond the total of twelve years from entry in the Ph.D. program. However, the leave-of-absence does stop the clock on departmental, program, and University academic milestones and requirements; the clock resumes when the student returns to full-time status.

Students in Master’s or professional programs also may take a one-quarter leave of absence for childbirth. A pregnant student should discuss with her Area Dean of Students and with the Office of International Affairs (if relevant) the implications of such a leave for medical insurance coverage, visa status, loan repayment, University housing, etc. She may choose to use the leave-of absence in addition to or instead of the other options outlined below.

Child Care and Schools

A wide variety of day care and baby-sitting options is available in the Hyde Park-South Kenwood area. Students with children, especially those who live in University housing, frequently form cooperative day care networks in their buildings. Many graduate student spouses provide baby-sitting in their homes and advertise their services on campus bulletin boards. There are many fine nursery schools in Hyde Park, including one run by the University. The University of Chicago helps employees and students find child care through two main sources:

  1. Action for Children is a private, not-for-profit agency, which operates as a resource and referral service. The University has contracted with Action for Children to help you locate arrangements for your children. The organization is located at 4753 North Broadway, Suite 1200, Chicago, Illinois 60640 (phone: 312-823-1100; fax: 312-823-1200; Web site: There are also West Side, South Side, and South Suburb offices. 
  2. Human Resources provides a Child Care Referral Program. Child Care may also be located through the participating providers in the University of Chicago and University of Chicago Hospitals Child Care Initiative. Please visit those sites online for more information.

Hyde Park has excellent public, private, and parochial schools. Registration for public schools is based on neighborhood boundaries unless the school is a magnet school (open to children citywide), or unless a permit to attend is granted by the school. To ensure a place in a private or parochial school, enroll as early as possible (most schools are full by late summer).

UChicago GRAD also collates information of specific interest for student parents at including information on PhD Child Care Grants and the Family Resource Center (950 East 61st Street), a drop-in center for families offering programs, informational materials, and a support network. Membership is free for graduate students and postdocs.

Transportation and Getting Around

UChicago offers many transportation options for students, faculty, staff, and visitors who come to campus. These offerings include the free UGo shuttles that travel on a variety of daytime and nighttime routes throughout the greater campus area; more than 20 parking lots, including a large parking garage on Campus North; and several Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) bus routes that travel on and near campus. Many of these local CTA bus routes are free or discounted for University members as part of an agreement with the CTA. An express bus route links the main campus with the University’s downtown Gleacher Center and near-north Chicago. A shuttle links the main campus with the 53rd Street/Lake Park office building. 

For an overview of transportation information at UChicago, please visit This site also contains information about car sharing services, bike sharing and bicycling in the area, transportation for injured or disabled students, and more.


The University of Chicago Police Department (UCPD) operates twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, on campus and throughout the Hyde Park-South Kenwood neighborhood— the area bounded by 37th Street, 64th Street, Cottage Grove Avenue, and Lake Shore Drive. Members of the department are committed to conducting their work in a respectful and dignified manner while providing a safe environment for those who live, learn, and work in our community. Officers are armed and fully empowered to make arrests in accordance with the requirements of the Illinois Law Enforcement Officers Training Board and consistent with Illinois state statutes. University Police and the City of Chicago Police Department work together by monitoring each other’s calls within the University Police’s coverage area. UCPD services include bicycle and laptop registration, assistance in installing child safety seats, and the safety escort program. 

University Police headquarters is located at 6054 South Drexel Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60637 (phone: 773-702-8181). Website:

The University has a multifaceted Safety Awareness Program, Common Sense. Common Sense describes how to get along safely as well as information about the offices and services that provide safety support, details on where to go for help in the event of an emergency and how to avoid threatening situations. It also provides information about policies such as drug and alcohol, violence prevention, and more.

Spiritual Life on Campus

There are numerous religious groups at the University and in the neighborhood that welcome student participation in their programs and worship. The Office of Spiritual Life serves as a destination for all things spiritual and religious at the University of Chicago. 

Following is a partial listing of religious groups and/or campus ministries at the University:

  • Asian-AmericanInterVarsity
  • The Baha’i Association
  • Brent House Episcopal Campus Ministry
  • Buddhist Association
  • Calvert House Catholic Campus Ministry
  • Campus Crusade for Christ
  • Chabad Jewish Center
  • Christian Science Organization
  • Graduate Christian Fellowship (InterVarsity)
  • Hillel (The Newberger Hillel Center for Jewish Life)
  • Hindu Student Sangam
  • InterVarsity Christian Fellowship
  • Latter-Day Saints Student Association
  • Lutheran Campus Ministry (Augustana Lutheran Church)
  • Muslim Students Association
  • Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Quaker House
  • Rockefeller Memorial Chapel
  • Unitarian Universalist Campus Ministry
  • United Protestant Campus Ministry
  • University Church (Disciples/UCC)

For more information on religious and spiritual groups, or to get involved, see

Four groups regularly hold worship in the Joseph Bond Chapel, located adjacent to Swift Hall. The Divinity School sponsors a short worship service. "Open Space," each Tuesday during the academic year. These services, planned by students, utilize the talents of students, faculty, and staff. Brent House, the Episcopal campus ministry, offers a Eucharist service Thursdays at noon during the academic year; the Muslim Students Association holds its Friday noon prayers throughout the year; and Calvert House, the Roman Catholic campus ministry, offers a Eucharist service every Sunday at 11:00 a.m.

On Sundays throughout the academic year Rockefeller Chapel offers ecumenical services using poetry and literature as complements to Christian sacred text. Thoughtful preaching, informed by the University’s tradition of rigorous scholarship, is offered by members of the University community and distinguished guests. The communion table is open to all. From October to June the Chapel Choir is in residence; during vacations and over the summer artists in residence and the Decani (the professional vocal ensemble of the Chapel) offer sacred music from around the world. Organ concerts are given by the University Organist, and carillon concerts are offered every weekday when classes are in session by the University Carillonneur and qualified students and community members.

The Chapel is regularly used by members of other major world religious traditions.

For more information visit

Identity and Inclusion on Campus

The Center for Identity + Inclusion creates intentionally diverse and inclusive communities, serving as a bridge builder by engaging students and members of the University community of all backgrounds to ensure personal, academic, and professional growth and success. Their site gives more information as well as information about the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs; LGBTQ Student Life, and Student Support Services. See more at

OMSA, the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, strives to foster intercultural engagement and raise the critical consciousness of students and the broader UChicago community, particularly as it relates to the lived experiences of varied racial and ethnic communities. 

The office of LGBTQ Student Life strives to create an inclusive and safe community for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning students and allies at UChicago.  We provide educational opportunities and serve as the hub for  LGBTQ student life at the University.

Student Support Services utilizes a holistic approach to create an environment in which low-income, first generation, and/or undocumented students can thrive and succeed on campus.  We provide services that strengthen self-efficacy, resilience, and a sense of belonging. 

International Students

The Office of International Affairs (OIA) has the dual function of serving the University’s international students and scholars, and its American students who are interested in grants for overseas research. OIA advises international students about United States government regulations and University rules and policies. The staff helps with personal problems and concerns arising from study in a foreign country and also acts as a liaison with international groups and activities on and around campus. OIA conducts competitions for overseas study awards, such as Fulbright grants.

Office of International Affairs
International House
1414 East 59th Street, Room 291

Chicago, Illinois 60637
phone: 773-702-7752
fax 773-702-3058
web site:

Student Activities

In addition to the rich cultural and recreational opportunities provided by the city of Chicago, there is much to do in the University itself. Most University students take part in one or more of the many musical, cultural, social, religious, and political organizations on campus. Due to the large number of graduate students at the University—about twice that of undergraduates—and because many faculty members live near campus and are able to attend cultural and social events, there is much that will appeal to graduate students.

Of special interest to international students is the yearlong program of events at International House. Trips to concerts or the theater, language tables, the weekly Film Society program, the Consul General Dinner series, and the annual Festival of Nations offer opportunities for residents to interact with other people of different backgrounds and cultures in a friendly, informal manner that is achieved in few other places.

The Divinity Students Association (DSA) is an organization run by and for University of Chicago Divinity School students and contributes to academic, professional, and social life in the Divinity School.  DSA funds student academic clubs and other clubs sparked and organized by student interest or affinity. 

Outside of Swift Hall, with more than 400 Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) and more groups and clubs organizations in the schools and divisions, there are countless ways to get involved in campus life. Student activities, including large-scale entertainment events and programs with an all-University focus, are mounted by student organizations using a portion of the student life fee paid by every student. Visit The Center for Leadership and Involvement to learn more about RSOs, leadership activities, governing bodies, and other cocurricular activities and campus traditions. 

Student Government at UChicago includes the Graduate Council (GC), made up of representatives from each graduate area. In addition to meeting to discuss issues of interest to grad students, GC plans activities designed to encourage interaction between each academic area. 

Thirty-eight percent of the funds collected from graduate students are allocated to the graduate divisions and schools. These funds are distributed by the Deans of Students in each area to their graduate student councils, graduate student organizations, or to fund events for the students in that division or school. Each division and school distributes funds differently. Students should contact their area Dean of Students for more information. 

Graduate students at the University have a wide range of opportunities to participate in intramural activities, club sports, and instructional classes. All indoor and outdoor athletic facilities are open throughout the year to all students displaying a campus card. Spouses and domestic partners of students have access to facilities for a yearly fee. The athletic program provides opportunities for instruction and participation in sports such as archery, badminton, gymnastics, handball, martial arts, racquetball, rowing, squash, sailing, swimming, table tennis, track and field, and weight lifting. The athletics department also offers opportunities to participate in approximately fifty intramural sports and forty sports clubs.

The Gerald Ratner Athletics Center includes a 50- by 25-meter swimming pool, cardiovascular exercise equipment, weight machines, free weights, a multipurpose dance studio, a competition gymnasium, and an auxiliary gymnasium, among other features.

In addition to the Ratner Athletics Center, the Henry Crown Field House provides indoor athletic and recreational opportunities to the University community. Among the features of the Henry Crown Field House are four multipurpose courts, an indoor running track, and racquetball and squash courts.

University Policies

For information on University Policies, please consult the Student Manual of University Policies and Regulations. The Student Manual is the official statement of University policies and regulations, and expected standards of student conduct which are applicable to all students. This document contains information on University Policies, Academic Policies and Requirements, Administrative Policies and Requirements, and Student Life and Conduct. The Student Manual can be accessed online at


The University Disciplinary Systems regarding student misconduct and the policy on unlawful discrimination and sexual misconduct are available online (see links below.)  Questions about these policies should be directed to the Dean of Students.

 University Disciplinary Systems:

Policy on Unlawful Discrimination and Sexual Misconduct: